As a picture often speaks better than words, here are the two images of my problem. I'm trying to get a smooth render on this object. I tried many options but no way I always have these artifacts. Is it possible to have a smooth rendering with a convex surface?
The Subsurf Modifier doesn't work well with Triangles.
Ideal topology consists of mainly quads (faces with four vertices) and each vertex is connected with exactly four edges.
I created the following quarter sphere by smooth subdiving a cube (edit mode: w > u), shaped it to a sphere (edit mode: Shift + Alt + s) and deleted the excess vertices.
EDIT: After requests and additional info in the question, I will provide a step by step workflow.
- Create a cube Shift + A > C, then go into edit mode (Tab). Make sure the pivot stays in the center of the cube.
- Do a smooth subdivision operation three times. (W + U)
- Select and delete the unnecessary vertices.
- Select the outer edge loop (Alt + rightbuttonclick) and scale it to zero along the Y - axis. (S > Y > 0). Make sure to enable proportional editing for this step, so the topology stays even.
- With the edge loop still selected, do the to sphere operation.(Shift + Alt + S > 1 > Enter)
- Select all vertices A, enable 2D Cursor as Pivot . and do the to sphere operation.(Shift + Alt + S > 1 > Enter), the last edge loop will still be on two axis.
- Delete the additional vertices, then select the lower edge loop.
- Extrude, scale according to the reference, insert edge loop to make the edges clearer.