Is there a modifier which "shaves" off 0.1m of every face equally? As if it were to go over every face and move it 0.1m in the negative normal direction, and clipping it properly. Displacement seems almost it, but it warps the shape unequally.

Resizing doesn't do the trick either.

Edit: I'm trying to make this keyboard 'Enter' key work. All of the other keys have the same displacement modifier. As you can see the enter key gets a weird dent from the displacement modifier.

Enter key in Edit-mode

Enter key displacement result


The displacement modifier works like I want it to when I make sure that the co-planar faces are not divided, i.e. by doing a limited dissolve first, to turn the quads of the enter key into ngons.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Good to know, thanks for posting your answer.. I'd really like to figure out why this works :) $\endgroup$ – Robin Betts Jun 29 at 22:13
  • $\begingroup$ @RobinBetts My guess: perhaps it goes through the faces sequentially, and it does the middle face first. Because of that the other faces become diagonal, and then it scales those in their now diagonal normal direction. EDIT: nope, that doesn't seem to be it either. $\endgroup$ – AnnoyinC Jun 30 at 9:28

If you select the faces you want to be displaced along their normals, and use AltS Shrink/Fatten with 'Offset Even' checked, that should do the trick. You can numerically enter the offset.

enter image description here

Thee internal edges don't quite know where to go, but they could be snapped or 0-scaled back into place.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ ..to select the side faces only, select 1 top and 1 bottom face, Shift-G select coplanar, and Ctrl-I invert the selection. $\endgroup$ – Robin Betts Jun 29 at 20:40
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ This is too manual for my taste. What if I ever have a really big mesh? Or what if I want to adjust the parameters if I later on decide on fatter/leaner keys? I'd have to manually redo it every time. Selecting all faces still gives the same distortion as a displace modifier. So I have to go by each face. $\endgroup$ – AnnoyinC Jun 29 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.