Do you manually retopo your texts or use a specific tool for the task?

What would be a good tool for retopology of text and other geometric shapes in order to deform them properly?



1 Answer 1


There are varying methods, but for text I generally use:

1 - Decimate Modifier (set to Planar)

2 - Solidify Modifier

3 - Remesh Modifier (Set to "Sharp" - Octree depth 6, 7 or 8 depending on precision needs - you may need to reduce the Threshold value to capture all the letters).


Optional - Last step (If I want to use displacement) is to use a Subdivision Surface Modifier set to whatever level I need to achieve proper displacement.

Also optional, if you want more "clean" looking text is to use a Bevel Modifier (2 or 3 segments) before the Subdivision Surface

  • $\begingroup$ wow, thanks so much for the informative reply Chris! $\endgroup$
    – fendrix
    Dec 23, 2022 at 11:04
  • $\begingroup$ Why the "Rim Only" option? It produces artifacts for me: imgur.com/a/ef8uVi1 $\endgroup$
    – Kuboå
    Dec 23, 2022 at 16:46
  • $\begingroup$ I just figure almost all text is viewed from above - using "Only Rim" stops the bottom of the text from being filled with extra (most often) unseen polygons. If you have artifacts, just don't select it (as it only has a small purpose anyway) $\endgroup$ Dec 23, 2022 at 18:15
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ But you're right - I put it more as a force of habit - it's insignificant enough (unless you have lots of text) that it doesn't need to be in the primary instructions - I removed it :) $\endgroup$ Dec 23, 2022 at 18:34

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .