I wanted to add the torus object and attach net on the torus object in blender. I am not sure how to make a circular net and attach it to a torus object.
I've made the net from Bezier Curve just by extruding vertices and tweaking handles. I've added Mirror and Array modifiers at the beginning to have constant overview of my whole shape. Array count should be even to number of hooks on you rim. Also Relative Offset is a bit smaller than 1 to overlap lines, this will give fake knots on rope.
At the end you will need to add Curve modifier with selected Bezier Circle from the Rim shape.
Next add Bevel to our net:
Now you will need to scale a bit on X axis our whole Bezier Curve (net) because adding Bevel will add also a little offset to it.
When everything is looking as you want duplicate this shape and move it to another layer - just in case.
Last thing before going further is to convert Bezier Curve (net) to mesh.
Add Cylinder with exact same radius and height as our net/rim and some Loop Cuts.
Add Surface Deform modifier to our net select created Cylinder and hit Bind.
Scale/Move/Tweak Cylinder with Proportional Editing to get basic net shape. Our net will follow this modifications due to Surface Deform modifier.
Add Vertex Group to our Cylinder and Assign to it top Edge Loop.
Add Cloth sim to Cylinder and tweak settings. I encourage you to test different values for different cloth behavior.
Now you can hide Cylinder.
Final thoughts and blend file:
I haven't used any complicated methods, all links provided should explain every step and if not - any question should be answered here or with many tutorials around the web. Also with provided blend file you should easily figure it out.
Remember to Apply Scale and Rotation to meshes.
This is a quick and rough method to create the net.
- First add a plane object. Subdivide it several times.
- Add decimate modifier and choose undivide, iteration 1 to make subdivision diagonal.
- Then add wireframe modifier to create net. Add subdivision surface modifier and choose simple.
- Then add a bezier circle and add curve modifier to the net and choose the bezier circle as object. Now experiment with choosing axes in curve modifier until you get right. Lastly change the size of beziercircle accordingly.
- Add cloth physics to the net object. Select one side (choose the correct side by expermenting) of the net plane and add to vertex group. Choose that vertex group in pinning under cloth physics and run simulation.
Hope it helped.