I want to create a leaf spring which can be used in a physical simulation to spring away the objects when it is being deformed. Should I use a soft body to do this? However, it doesn't seem like soft bodies could accomplish this.
This is the closest simulation I could think of (also made video version available):
- Create a Cube Shift+amc and scale down it sz.1Returnsx.5Return.
- Create and instance with Alt+dy2Return. Repeat several times with Shift+r, making sure to end with an uneven amount.
- Select all newly created cubes and and make active rigid bodies Control+r.
- In the the Tool Shelf under Rigid Body Tools, click Calculate Mass and select Steel.
- One by one go along selecting each of the neighbouring cubes and click the Connect button (also in the Rigid Body Tools).
- Finally select the centre cube and set it to passive Control+Shift+r.