I'd like to use Ctrl+Numpad + in edit mode to select branches and leaves on a tree generated using the sapling add-on. I have a workflow to connect all of the branches to the trunk. However, I'm not able to find a way to connect the leaves to the mesh so they can be selected along with the branches.
Is there a way to generate the model or modify the models so that leaves can be selected as vertices along a branch are selected using Ctrl+Numpad +?
- Add a sapling tree to a model. Enable 'bevel' and enable 'show leaves'.
- Convert the tree curve into a mesh in object mode.
- Go into edit mode. The mesh for branches and the trunk are part of the same object and intersect, but are not connected.
- In edit mode, select all vertices, the Ctrl+F and select 'intersect (knife)' and on the toolbar select 'Self Intersect' and deselect 'Separate'. This will create merge the meshes and they will be connected at the intersections. Since it is connected, it is now possible to select trunk and branches using Ctrl+Numpad +. (See [stack exchange question] discussing the process3)
- If connected vertices are continued to be selected, the leaves are not selected. Is there a way to modify the leaves so as the branch is selected, the leaves are also selected?