How can I remove personal data from a
I was asked to upload a
.blend file in order to reproduce the issue. I removed all objects from the scene as far as possible and also removed all Python code as far as possible. This is good: it makes the file small, the sources for potential problems are eliminated and you can focus on the real problem.
However, when I look at the
.blend file with Notepad or a Hex editor, it shows many paths on my system, which include my user name and other information. Note that I don't have any external references to files (like textures).
For this time, I can replace the personal data in a Hex editor, however, this is not a good approach in general, because
- it only works as long as the file format does not use a checksum to verify the integrity of the file. (So I'm lucky it works for .blend files)
- it only works as long as the file is not compressed, because changing a compressed file breaks the compression. (Strange enough that the .blend file is still the same even if I use compression)
- if you accidentally delete a character (so that the file becomes smaller), the file becomes invalid
- you need to know in advance what you're looking for (you need to know the search term) - and there might be many
- it's a lot of work to do for something which doesn't bring additional benefit