I'm trying to make a line of colored bubbles using an array modifier but I want them in a sort of unorganized conga line. Is it possible using the array modifier, or do I have to do them manually?
You can achieve this by using a Particle System. Simply add in a plane, go to the Particles tab, and follow the directions:
- With the plane selected, add a new particle system by pressing New
- Set the number of particles to something lower, like 10
- Set the End frame to 1 (make sure the Start frame is also 1)
Picture Representation 1/3:
Further down the settings:
- Under the Physics tab, select No. This will turn off gravity.
- Under the Render tab, set the emitter to Object, then by clicking the box, select the object you want to array/duplicate (in your case, the bubbles)
Picture Representation 2/3:
- If you don't like the randomization of the particles, set the Seed to a different number.
Picture Representation 3/3:
You can hide the plane by putting it on a separate Render Layer or by assigning it an invisible material.
EDIT: You can also put the particles on a line by scaling down the plane on the Y axis. If you want it on a different axis, you can just rotate the plane. And finally, if you want it on a curve, simply just replace the plane with a curve.