Any chance anyone knows how to unwrap half a sphere? Or what the best way to unwrap half a sphere? I've been looking through forums and I couldn't find a way to unwrap my helmet.
In this particular case I would go with Follow Active Quad unwrapping. You can 'cut off' the top of the helmet (there is another mesh there) so it's the easiest way I can think of.
First of all Mark Seams around the top of the helmet and one through the back of the mesh.
- Select all faces and Unwrap them.
- Select one face, preferably near the Seam, it will keep texture more seamless.
- Align this face in UV Image Editor by selecting edges and W > Align Auto.
- Select all faces on your mesh (keep aligned face as active face).
- Unwrap it by Follow Active Quads.
- Hit Ctrl+P to Pack UV Islands.
- Manually correct the top of helmet UV map.