Following along in tutorials I see the blur filter being used. I am using Blender 2.69 and I can't locate it visually or even with a search. Actually, there is no "Filters" category at all.

Do I have to download something to get it?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Are you sure you choose the right "node tree type" (3 buttons at the bottom) ? I think the Blur node is only available in compositor nodes... $\endgroup$ – Polosson Mar 18 '14 at 13:47
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for your quick reply. I am somewhat new to blender and didn't even know about the other two node editors. I did find it but now i need to find out how I use those other editors. $\endgroup$ – robmack Mar 18 '14 at 14:12
  • $\begingroup$ If you do a bit of web research, you can find things like that : viralvideos.mobi/video/1LRDR0WAneE/… $\endgroup$ – Polosson Mar 18 '14 at 17:39

The "Blur" node is only available in "compositing" node tree type. The type can be chosen at the bottom menu-bar of the Node Editor window.

The 3 little icons correspond to the 3 node tree types available :

  • Shader nodes (for materials)
  • Compositing nodes
  • Texture nodes

Node Editor tree types


I have it: (I have 2.7 but with 2.69 I had it too)

enter image description here

I am Compositing mode (shown in the upper bar on the screenshot), and I checked Use Node, it's hidden on the screenshot, but it's just next to Free Unused, in the bar in the middle of the screen.

Then Add and it should be there!

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ "compositing" mode is not showed at the top, it's in the bottom menubar of the Node Editor window (the second icon right after the sphere one). $\endgroup$ – Polosson Mar 19 '14 at 18:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.