Im new to Blender and i am having problems with trying to "merge" these objects, whats the best way to do it. Its for a game so just putting them together would waste tris if i understand everything correctly (Since there will be faces inside the object)
Based on my admittedly limited experience, I would do something like this:
- In Object Mode, select both objects with Shift+Left Click.
- Select the one whose origin you want to keep last.
- Press Ctrl+J to join the objects.
- Press Tab to go into Edit Mode.
- Press Shift+Tab to enable snapping.
- Use "vertex" snapping mode, with the "closest" setting.
- Press L while hovering the octagonal prism to select the island.
- Press GZ to translate along Z axis.
- Hover one of the vertices of the face you're trying to snap to.
- Go into face select mode, select the face you just snapped to, and press X to "Delete faces".
- Join the top vertices of the octagonal prism with the four vertices of the face you just deleted in whatever formation of triangles / quads makes the most sense for your use-case.
I am not a professional myself so this might not be completely perfect.
Here is what to do:
First: Select the bigger object, go to the 'Modifier' tab and select 'Booleen'.
Second: Change the 'Operation' from 'Intersect' to 'Union' and select the smaller object in the 'Object' tab.
Third: Align the smaller object exactly to the bigger object.
Fourth: After aligning it perfectly, click 'Apply' on the modifier.
Fifth: Drag away the newly joined mesh and delete the old smaller object.
Sixth: Your Done!
After doing all this you could do some more minor editing if needed.
Well, I hoped this was clear and helped!I was going to post images, but I have to few reputation stuff so I couldn't. If you still have question feel free to ask.
Good luck with your game and cheers!