On a project I was working on creating shape keys and sculpting the model for those keys, suddenly while attempting to create a new shape key some of the vertices of the model stopped reacting to the sculpt mode brushes and won't move at all. I was able to sculpt the same vertices earlier for the other shape keys and they still move if I change their weights. I tried all of this to try to figure out what's going on:
- Isolated the "frozen" vertices by deleting all the other ones.
- Deleted all other objects and modifiers in the project.
- Deleted all the shape keys
- Extruded some of the frozen vertices (by extruding edges) to create new geometry
- In edit mode added a UV sphere as part of the same object where the frozen vertices are
The frozen vertices and the newly created by extrusion remained frozen and impossible to alter by any of the sculpt mode brushes. I was able to sculpt the newly created sphere without any issues.
I then applied a modifier to the object with the frozen vertices (tried with subdivision or with bevel) and this un-froze the vertices and I was able again to sculpt them. Is the vertex data corrupted? Is there a way of fixing this in the full project (I can't apply modifiers without loosing all my shape key work)?
Project file with the frozen geometry (can you sculpt this?): Blender file