I have a plane for the ground, but leaving a sharp edge between it and the camera looks odd. so I tried to use mist to help blur the edges and make it look somewhat natural(since I can't just make it huge, blender insists on clipping at a certain size) however, I also want freestyle on some objects. when rendering, it draws lines even on things that shouldn't be visible, like things in dense fog. is there a way to constrain the effect to specific meshes or exclude it from others?
You can avoid freestyle rendering in mist by setting a "distance from camera" modifier.
- Goto "Render Layers"
- Scroll down to "Freestyle Line Style" Panel
- Click "Alpha"
- Click "Add Modifier" and then select "Distance From Camera"
- Select "Mix" for the blend type
- Select "Curve" for mapping type
- Add a point in the center of the curve ui
- set the right most point x pos to 0.3 and y pos to 0.0
- set the center point x pos to 0.25 and y pos to 0.5
- set the left most point x pos to 0.0 and y pos to 1.0
- set the Range Max to the depth of your mist.
PROTIP: Gain more control over falloff by adding points to your curve. Adjust shape until the "Distance From Camera" modifier falloff matches your mist.