I have made a panel for my car dash to 3d print. The problem is at some point I cut out a large hole with a boolean operation so I could test the part easier and save time and plastic.

The file is located at


and the image is

enter image description here

Is there any way to fill this hole keep the front contour of the part ?



If I got what you ask, in this particular case should be easy:

After activating vertex snapping, select the side profile (which still has the right vertical curvature), and extrude that vertex edge snapping to horizontal edge (which still has horizontal curvature), and in the end you'll cover the entire missing panel.

Like this:

enter image description here

enter image description here

If you still have original shapes, though, you could also use booleans twice: the first as you did, as "difference", to cut the hole, and another one as "intersect", to get the cut panel as indipendent shape.


Since you like learning new tricks, I'll add another one here below, although I couldn't use it in your specific case, probably due to the specific topology you had in that file.

Here's the trick: if you have a "missing" surface, similar to what you had:

enter image description here

you can sometimes "reconstruct" it using the "grid fill" tool, like this:

enter image description here

which is way more elegant than manually reconstruct it... good to know, I think.

  • $\begingroup$ Thanks. Nice to learn a new trick. I tried the second method first before I saw your answer. It did work but I had all manor of non manifold problems. Your first method was quite clean and will help me in other situations. Thanks $\endgroup$ – Glenn Pierce Jan 14 '17 at 20:52
  • $\begingroup$ Good! I just added another (somewhat more cool) way to solve this problem, above, it doesn't matter if I couldn't apply it to your file... $\endgroup$ – m.ardito Jan 14 '17 at 22:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.