I would like to know how to rotate edge loops individually on their own axis. I tried doing this with pivot point as individual origins and rotating along normals X with normal as the transformation axis. Actually, I tried all combinations with all the axis, but none worked.
It's all about the setup.
- model your flower and delete all the rest of the petals leaving one.
- since there is 5 sides each petals need to rotate 72 degree.
- Using array modifier with a rotated empty I reconstructed the flower.
- Now I can modify one petal to make sure all the rest of the petals follow.
Here is the blend file I created ...
- Select edit mode.
- Select edge mode.
- Make sure to select the edge you want to rotate from last (The Active Element)
- Set pivot point to "Active Element"
- Hit N to open navigation panel in 3d view.
- Look for Transform Orientation tab.
- Hit the "+" button to setup Transform Orientation to the face you want to rotate.
- Remember to choose from the list of newly created Transform Orientation called "face" if there are more than one it should look like "face.001 or face.002"
- Activate rotation and hit Y to rotate in the Y axis.