I wish to create some floating dust particles for animation using a thread here but that doesn't go into the animation part, only the look dev. Could someone tell me how to animate those particles to just slowly float around and fade in and out? Here is a .blend file:
I personally prefer post processing dust, for a still image you would normally just find some free dust particles online and add them in via the compositor. But as for animated particles, I would Google some free dust asset animation packs and add them in the compositor using an image sequence node.
If can't find any online, you can always make your own!
- Build a cube and icosphere
- Put icosphere on layer 2
Add a particle system to cube and
- set emission from volume
- change start and end values to 0
- set it to emit the icosphere
- disable emitter
- mess with size and amount
add an emission shader to the icosphere
set the background to black
- Set gravity to a really low value
- Add a couple of weak turbulence forces to push the particles around
- After you animate this, you will have generated your own image sequence that you can composite onto any animation
Side note: if you really want to get fancy, you can use a noise texture set to camera mapping to control the strength of the emission node shader, then animate the x and y values on the mapping node to animate light going thorough the dust.