How can I do a monitoring/guard CCTV camera effect like pictured below with blender? enter image description here

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ What do you mean with this effect? Please describe it or add reference pictures. $\endgroup$
    – piegames
    Nov 12, 2016 at 10:42
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ If the answer is correct could you please mark is as Answered? $\endgroup$
    – 3pointedit
    Nov 13, 2016 at 22:18

1 Answer 1


If you are trying to achieve this effect on the right:

before and after security cam effect

Use the compositor and distort the source image with a Lens Distortion Node in projector mode. This can make it appear like a fisheye lens. Security cameras have a wide field of view. You could add horizontal lines to simulate an old tube monitor screen. Use a wood texture node and scale the x axis to 0 and the y or vertical axis to a very large value, then multiply it with the source, after distortion.

Also security or guard cameras operate in low light so you could remove the color with a Hue Saturation Value node.

distortion and texture effect

scale texture for lines

For extra value you could add glare to the source image to blow out highlites and make a slightly blurry image, as these cameras often have poor optics. If you are making this effect in 3D I would still suggest using the compositor.

  • $\begingroup$ Wow! Nice one! +1 from me. $\endgroup$
    – Paul Gonet
    Nov 12, 2016 at 13:52
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @mobile_beginner_2015 You may add an addictional distortion effect to it like in here: blender.stackexchange.com/questions/33660/… $\endgroup$
    – Paul Gonet
    Nov 12, 2016 at 13:53
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Thanks 3pointedit, this is indeed the effect I try to make $\endgroup$ Nov 12, 2016 at 19:53
  • $\begingroup$ I'll up the anti... try generating a completely glitched piece of geometry along a roughly horizontal alignment. If it animates fast even better. Feed the normals to a displace node and intermittently glitch it, for that broken feed vibe, or do a vertical drag of the object to simulate a feed roll. $\endgroup$
    – troy_s
    Nov 14, 2016 at 4:03
  • $\begingroup$ You mean like this other BStack answer? blender.stackexchange.com/questions/33660/… $\endgroup$
    – 3pointedit
    Nov 14, 2016 at 5:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .