I'm trying to figure out ways of optimizing my UV Layout creation workflow. Here's what I do so far:
- mark seams on the mesh
- select the mesh and press u u to auto unwrap it
- if the UVMap image ("checkers" view) looks too distorted on the mesh, go back to step 1 (mark more seams).
- Once satisfied, select the logical parts of the mesh in 3D View so only those corresponding islands show in the UV view. Due to auto-unwrap, these islands are dispersed throughout the UV layout.
- Move each of these islands one-by-one close to each other so they are all in the same location in the UV layout
- Repeat steps 5/6 for every part of the mesh
Is there an easier way to do step 5? Like some kind of command in UV mode like "auto-pack the selected islands" using the same underlying layout algorithm used for the initial unwrapping?
Also, if there are any tricks worth knowing that could speed up this process, please let me know! Thanks.