I'm using matcaps as materials most of time, using blender internal render and cycles with nodes or without, by making the material shadeless and setting the mapping coordinates to normal. I want ambient occlusion to affect the final render.
- Enable the Ambient Occlusion in the World section of the properties panel. Set it to Add.
- Create a new material: "Ambient".
- Set the Diffuse Intensity to 1, and the Color to (1, 1, 1). Rendered view will show the ambient occlusion of the material.
- Create a new material: "mixedMaterial". Assign it to the mesh.
- Enable nodes, add the "Ambient" Material, the "Matcap" Material and combine them with a Color Mix node. Set the Mix nodes mode to Multiply.
This is the result.