As we now have volumetrics in cycles, it's possible to render procedural textures in 3D.
For example, you can render a cube:
However, is it possible to generate an actual mesh based on the intensity of a procedural texture?
I tried to do something like this:
- Simulate particle system being affected by procedural texture
- Convert particle system to vertices
- Mesh using the convex hull modifier
But I failed because:
- I couldn't get the particles to group convincingly based on the intensity of a texture
- The result was concave, so the convex hull operator was not useful.
How can I generate a mesh in this way?