I'm wondering if there is a fonction to extrude down the faces selected to put them on the red dotted line, while maintening them parallel to the vertical edge?
The fast, inaccurate way
- Select one of the upper edges and the lower edge, which you want to connect.
- Subdivide W > S
- Use the edge / vertice slide by pressing G > G
- Enable the Even checkbox in the edge slide operation settings.
- If necessary enable the Flipped checkbox in the edge slide operation settings.
- Adjust the Factor slider estimating the slide position closest to the upper vertex.
- Merge the upper vertices.
The slow, accurate way
- Delete the face, which you want to split with the edge (loop).
- Select the edge, which you want your new edge to be parallel to.
- Go into Normal transform orientation mode, then (in the Properties Panel under Transform) press the + icon. This will add the orientation of the edge as a possible transformation orientation.
- Place a new vertex by subdividing the lower edge.
- Snap the 3D cursor to the upper vertex, from which you want the edge loop to start.
- Enable 2D Cursor as Pivot Point.
- Select the vertex on the lower edge and scale it to 0 (with the 2D cursor as a pivot point). Limit the scale operation to the X and Z axis. Select the transform orientation of the edge, which we added earlier.
- Make the new faces.