To elaborate on Noidea's comment, Vertex Groups probably are the most simple option. Here's what you can do to create a Vertex Group:
- Select the vertices that you will want to be able to easily select later.
- Go to the Properties panel > Object Data tab > Vertex Groups dropdown.
- Add a new Vertex Group with the plus button.
- Double click on Group to rename it and name it something that will signify which vertices you are grouping. I named mine End Cap.
- Make sure that the Weight: value is set to 1 and click Assign.
Now, anytime that you want to select those vertices, click Select. You can add as many Vertex Groups as you want. In a demo I built, I used Vertex Groups End Cap and Loop Cut (for the loop cut on top of the end cap, useful if adding subsurf, for example). Watch how I can easily integrate those two Vertex Groups into my workflow of nothingness.