enter image description here

I heard it being called "viewport properties panel"

even though panels are the things inside the shelf.

I heard it being called the "tool shelf"

But I get the feeling that tool shelf refers to only the (t) shortcut shelf that appears to the left side.

Maybe the right term is "properties shelf"?

  • $\begingroup$ to me iNformation panel or property following the menu (but I don't think this is good here) $\endgroup$
    – lemon
    Aug 2, 2016 at 18:42
  • $\begingroup$ but the manual says : Panels are collapsible sections within "regions" to help organize the interface. blender.org/manual/interface/editors/panels.html $\endgroup$
    – eromod
    Aug 2, 2016 at 18:43
  • $\begingroup$ I read a little further down the page and its called "the properties shelf" $\endgroup$
    – eromod
    Aug 2, 2016 at 18:44
  • $\begingroup$ ok, but in fact what is the aim of your question ? I mean N for this panel, and T for the tools one... but what more with all that for your question ? $\endgroup$
    – lemon
    Aug 2, 2016 at 18:46
  • $\begingroup$ im thinking of editing the manual because when I was reading here: blender.org/manual/render/workflows/multiview/usage.html and it said: "You can toggle this and other display settings in the Stereoscopy tab of the viewport properties panel." I was hella confused were those settings were. I think I will change the words "viewport properties panel" to "viewport properties shelf". $\endgroup$
    – eromod
    Aug 2, 2016 at 18:49

1 Answer 1


Blender's naming scheme is quite confusing, especially since many creators (including me) of tutorials and howto videos don't use them consistently (and there's a reason for this mess). So let's break it down a little.

The Blender Manual introduction says that Blender's UI can be broken up into the Main Window, which contains one or more Areas with each Area containing an Editor. Editors usually have a Header and one or more Regions. Regions then contain Panels.

According to the Manual the highlighted area in your screenshot is called "Properties Region". It shows all properties of your currently selected object(s) and lets you also edit some additional properties for your scene. Some of them could also be changed within the Properties Editor (I'm trying to stay with the terminology here...)

properties... properties everywhere!

This seems a little absurd but it immediately makes sense if you switch the 3D View to fullscreen area (Alt+F10).

The reason why Blender's naming scheme is still confusing is that even Blender itself calls it Panel.

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ Over here its called the properties shelf: blender.org/manual/interface/editors/panels.html But over here its called the Properties Region : blender.org/manual/interface/introduction.html#regions And in Blender its called a "panel" as you pointed out... media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/… $\endgroup$
    – eromod
    Aug 2, 2016 at 20:17
  • $\begingroup$ do you think it should be called "properties shelf"? I think that makes the most sense, no? $\endgroup$
    – eromod
    Aug 2, 2016 at 20:25
  • $\begingroup$ I'd stay with properties panel. I for myself stopped using the term shelf around the time of Blender 2.59. If they have the <kbd>Key</kbd> tags on that wiki, maybe that would be enough? $\endgroup$ Aug 2, 2016 at 20:48
  • $\begingroup$ so this page is wrong in saying: "Panels are collapsible sections within regions to help organize the interface. They are heavily used in the Properties Editor but also appear elsewhere (For example: in the Tool Shelf or the Properties Shelf, available in some editors)." blender.org/manual/interface/editors/panels.html $\endgroup$
    – eromod
    Aug 2, 2016 at 20:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .