I'm trying to learn blender, and for fun trying to make a model of a bottle. The bottle shape is no problem, but the bottle has a special pattern in its material that needs to be cut out from it. How can i do this? I tried many different ways but nothing worked very well. I've attached an image of bottle in Blender. The pattern I want to cut out is the photo I've used as background image.
The secret is to model the indentations first, then use a deformer to create the twist.
- Start with a cylinder with 9 sides. Bevel (Ctrl + B) the edges and add an edge loop top and bottom, this will be the lip of the indentation.
- Select the sides that will be indented. Use polygon inset tool (I) to make them inset and indented.
- Add a Simple Deform modifier. Adjust the angle to meet the reference image.
- Add a Subdivision Surface modifier and preview the result. Apply the deformation modifier.
- Select top and bottom edge loops. Use the LoopTools Circle tool (this requires the LoopTools addon).
- Extrude (E) the top and bottom faces and model the rest of the bottle.