When in weight paint mode when I right click a bone it goes into object mode and selects the whole armature but what I want to do is manipulate the bones while in paint mode, as seen in tutorials, to either move a part out of the way or test the weight painting.
The armature has to be in Pose mode, then Shift-select the mesh and go into Weight Paint mode.
If you have selection set to Right-click in Preferences then:
- Sample weight (color) with Ctrl LMB
- Select bone with RMB
If you have selection set to Left-click in Preferences:
- Sample weight (color) with Ctrl RMB
- Select bone with Ctrl LMB
Independently of Select with option:
- Paint with LMB
- Rotate, Move, Scale bone with R, G, S
- Paint gradient with Alt LMB