Is there a common group of junction types a re topology-artist should be aware of?

Explanation of question:

It seems I've been thrust into the world of re-topology now that I am making more use of zbrush.

I noticed there are many times when mesh-density changes should occur either upward or downward depending on detail. I also avoid using tris, which means more puzzling situations: How to scale / decrease density without using tris?

The whole issue boils down to this: Face Junction types.

Perhaps this is a naive assumption or oversimplifiction, but I wonder if there exists a small visual reference of common junction types used in topology. A certain 'holy grail' or reliable catalog of junction types, possibly named, and explained?

As I'm very new to this, I've attached a screenshot of one I commonly use in downscaling or upscaling mesh density, but I'm sure I could be using different approaches / face arrangements.

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.