I kinda need help figuring out what the following type of texture is usually called, as I'm trying to figure out how to add it over a pre-existing material


enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ Hard to say, it's a texture that is obviously associated with a UV Map. What's it mapped to in the Material Setttings? $\endgroup$ – dval Jan 14 '16 at 2:25
  • $\begingroup$ What is the pre-existing material, and what mesh are you contemplating applying them over. It would be helpful if the pre-existing texture, the texture and the mesh would be packed into a ~.blend file, and by upload to a facility like [Blend-exchange}(blend-exchange.giantcowfilms.com) or similar. $\endgroup$ – brasshat Jan 15 '16 at 3:36

I guess it is the specular map. Specular maps are the maps you use to define a surface's shininess. Here's the example of a specular map I've found on net: enter image description here

Here's how it works: First example (the one pictured below) doesn't use specular map. As you can see the gloss is evenly distributed on the model.
enter image description here enter image description here

Second example shows the same model, but with the glossiness distribution based on the specular map.
enter image description here

To control on what parts you want the glossiness to appear you have to create a black and white texture and map it on your mesh (in my case pure black color is a 100% glossiness and white color is no gloss at all).
enter image description here

After setting the texture as a factor between Diffuse and Glossy shaders, you have your gloss appear on the desired parts of the model. enter image description here

Here's the interesting tutorial about how to create the specular maps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gqp4bNJ52M

|improve this answer|||||
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Don't forget to use non-color data for the spec map. $\endgroup$ – PGmath Jan 14 '16 at 4:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.