Is there a way to cut a slice through a plane, like through a piece of paper? Specifically, I created a plane, gave it a thickness, and applied a cloth modifier to it. The cloth is supposed to be hair on a head (Its not supposed to look realistic) and I want there to be several, large hair strands, all connected at the top. Do I have to create them all individually, or can I cut the single cloth so it has several long tassels? Can you only cut if it cuts through the whole thing? I tried the knife tool but it didn't seem to work. I might have done it wrong.
If I got what you ask, you could achieve this in this way.
- Start using a cylinder, not a plane
- delete the bottom face, and some "front" sides (see image below)
- then go in edit mode
- select a side edge, and
- use ctrle and "edge ring" to select a "ring" of all side edges, which become selected
- then use ctrle and "edge split" to suplicate every selected edge: this will make all dide "quad" faces belonging to all selected edges, independent from the others
- then, you can "move" any side "quad" as you wished, but they will be still connected to the top round face.
- then if you wish you can give depth and clothify your "cloth hair" setup