I'm working on rigging the actuator arms for the landing gear doors on a project and have run into an irritating problem. When the doors are open everything is fine:
However when the door closes:
As you can see, it flips the arm 180 degrees. This is happening to all three actuator arms. I have it rigged as follows:
1) The door itself is parented to the armature that actually rotates the hinge.
2) I'm using empties and track to constraints to animate the actuator arms.
3) The actuator sleeve (the upper half with the ball joint) is parented to an empty called Upper, which the acuator piston (with the arm) is Tracked to.
4) Vice versa for the Lower empty.
5) Lower is parented to the door object, and moves with the door. Upper remains stationary as it's fixed to the bay (no parenting).
This is one of my main landing gear bays. I'm using a similar setup for the forward bay doors, which are NOT experiencing this issue.
I just remodeled and repositioned the actuators so they stop flipping. They're not exactly where I wanted then to be, but they work proper in the new spots, so all good.