With text, you have a really handy control called 'offset', which allows you to easily increase/decrease the size of your letters from their centres not by changing the shape proportionally but by adding/detracting from its outline, which looks like this (border remains uniform):

enter image description here

By contrast, when trying to scale down a mesh object using the 's' it looks like this (borders not uniform):

enter image description here

Is there a similar 'offset' control that allows similar for mesh objects or any other way of achieving the same result? Seems odd that such a useful tool would be exclusive to text.

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ You can scale a mesh along normals (Alt+S). It may be quite difficult to scale it so faces to remain perpendicular, but still it may be a workaround $\endgroup$
    – Mr Zak
    Aug 6 '15 at 16:02
  • $\begingroup$ When I do Alt+s my object disappears and undo doesn't even get it back. I'm confused, what am I doing wrong? $\endgroup$
    – marklovin
    Aug 6 '15 at 16:17
  • $\begingroup$ @marklovin make sure you move your mouse slowly (it's an interactive feature), if your cursor speed is too fast that might be the issue, also left click to confirm. $\endgroup$
    – iKlsR
    Aug 6 '15 at 16:22
  • $\begingroup$ For me it just behaves exactly the same as if I just press 's' on its own, i.e. it just scales it proportionally.... $\endgroup$
    – marklovin
    Aug 6 '15 at 16:31
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ If instead of working with a meshes you work with curves you'll still be able to use the offset option. $\endgroup$
    – user1853
    Aug 7 '15 at 5:25

Depending on how good your mesh is, the inset tool can do a pretty good job of offsetting inwards with odd shaped outlines. Press I and move the mouse to adjust the amount.

Even with the messy mesh created from converting some text to mesh, only a couple of points need fixing.

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.