I've been searching a bit for the perfect material testing scene, so I'm curious, what are some of the most important elements in a material testing scene?
- Make sure you have correct neutral lighting (a diffuse grey (50%) sphere should render as diffuse grey (50%)).
- You need some reflectors to judge reflections.
- Maybe you should have an object with a stepped thickness so that you can see how refraction behaves.
- You could also setup additional renderlayers with different lighting situations.
- Maybe a grid on the floor to get the scale right (cm, dm, m)?
- A McBeth chart of some sort?
- A diffuse and a reflective sphere for reference in some corner?
I think SHED have some nice examples in their blog somewhere...