Is it possible to add a node to the middle of, say, a material, that just contains plaintext information for people viewing the node tree?

I know that it's possible to add a tooltip to frames, which are nice for organizing, but screen real estate for what I'm working on requires that the text be wrapped into the node itself; basically so that I can reference it without having to pop over to another viewer or such, sort of the equivalent of adding comments in a programming language.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ You can use a frame to achieve this. Frames are generally used to explain and group nodes/node layouts. $\endgroup$
    – CharlesL
    May 24, 2013 at 23:40
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You could also try the Grease pencil (Ctrl+LMB on the node editor). It takes some skill with a mouse (Though I imagine this might actually work nicely with a tablet) $\endgroup$
    – gandalf3
    Aug 28, 2013 at 19:27

2 Answers 2


As of 2.74 you can display a text datablock in a frame node:

enter image description here

It's still quite limited, but at least it's somewhat possible now.


No such composite node exists (I am assuming you want it for that pane, but most of these are in Material and Texture too). Here are all the different types of composite nodes in Blender.

Types of Composite Nodes

This section is organized by type of nodes, which are grouped based on similar functions:

  • Input - Adds something to the node map, such as an image or a value.
  • Output - Displays the result in progress as a small image.
  • Color - Manipulates the colors of an image.
  • Vector - Manipulate the intensities and reflections of an image
  • Filters - Process the image to enhance it, working on adjacent pixels.
  • Converters - Separate the image into its component video, or convert formats.
  • Mattes - Generating mattes to mask off areas of an image.
  • Distortion - Changing the shape of the image.
  • Groups - User-defined groups of nodes.

At most you can change the name of the label.

  • $\begingroup$ The no node exists thing seems to be the correct answer, unfortunately. $\endgroup$ May 25, 2013 at 3:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .