Let's say we have a pattern of vertices, like so: enter image description here

I have a grave weakness in my modeling: it's quite an arduous process for me to fill those in!

Would someone be so kind as to tell me the best way to "heal" these meshes, ie, fill them in with an edge/vertice pattern that more or less matches the one I deleted?

Without knowing this, a simple mistake can be deadly..
(PS: Yes, one of those is just missing a face.)

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I know this may seem obvious, but why doesn't Ctrl+Z help you undo it? If you need to repair it, you can select the vertices and press F. I will add an answer $\endgroup$
    – J Sargent
    Commented Apr 23, 2015 at 14:57
  • $\begingroup$ It's both a technical point and, in the case of not realizing you had some extra things selected (and thus if you were to continue to work) a practical point. $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 23, 2015 at 15:00
  • $\begingroup$ Alright, I posted an answer. Does it help/solve your problem? Let me know by commenting if it doesn't ;) $\endgroup$
    – J Sargent
    Commented Apr 23, 2015 at 15:10

1 Answer 1


For a flat mesh: You can repair most issues like this by holding Alt and then right-clicking on the boundary edge. Now the perimiter of the hole will be selected. Now press Ctrl+F > Grid Fill. If it is a space with only four vertices/edges, you can simply press F to create the new face.

Repairing A Mesh

For a curved mesh: This is a little more complex, but still can be done. You will need to set the cursor position to the center of the curve/sphere. Now set the Pivot Point to 3D Cursor. You now are able to duplicate vertices on each loop and rotate them to the correct positions in the mesh. Simply select each quad of vertices and press F. This is more tedious, but is still effective.

Repairing a rounded mesh

  • $\begingroup$ Is there a way in settings to make blender use something other than an alt key? My OS is just fascinated with the Alt key, and blender never receives that stroke! $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 23, 2015 at 15:16
  • $\begingroup$ Yes, in the user preferences you can search for the commands and set them to something else, however I don't know the name of the command for selecting a loopcut. $\endgroup$
    – J Sargent
    Commented Apr 23, 2015 at 15:19
  • $\begingroup$ @user1833028 Just found something here: go to number six on the list $\endgroup$
    – J Sargent
    Commented Apr 23, 2015 at 15:23
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks, I've fixed it in fact. I'll look over the list though, you've been a big help. $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 23, 2015 at 15:31
  • $\begingroup$ No problem, always glad to :) $\endgroup$
    – J Sargent
    Commented Apr 23, 2015 at 15:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .