I have seen multiple times in the node editor that you can split a noodle/pipe, with a socket in the middle of what would otherwise be a normal pipe. I have found no documentation or any other information on this, but I know it is possible, such as seen from the image from this question:

Image showing the split noodle as described above

What is the keyboard shortcut or method of performing this split?

(Bonus: Is there a specific, official name for the noodles/pipes?)

Thank you!


1 Answer 1


You can create those handy little things by holding down shift and right click, then sweeping over a connection line. They're called "Reroute Nodes". Here's some more documentation if you're interested: Blender 3.4 Manual

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Perfect, thank you! $\endgroup$
    – cs1349459
    Feb 2 at 15:03
  • $\begingroup$ doesn't this require to enable the Node Wrangler addon first? $\endgroup$
    – L0Lock
    Feb 2 at 16:58
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @L0Lock For this you don't need it, it's built in. $\endgroup$
    – Zoukeau
    Feb 2 at 17:03
  • $\begingroup$ That's interesting, I thought that was node wrangler. Cut with ctrl + right click is default too, or no? $\endgroup$ Feb 2 at 18:20
  • $\begingroup$ Also, if you already have the noodles connected, you can sweep over all the noodles from the same source and it will merge them all into a reroute $\endgroup$ Feb 2 at 18:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.