I'm trying to create a procedural palm frond style plant with geometry nodes that has instanced leaves staggered along a stem (curve object). And these staggered leaves are roughly 180 degrees opposite each other as they climb the stem.
I'm trying to do a lot more, but the staggered leaves and positioning is the part I'm currently stuck on.
Would love a simple explanation on how to do this.
The reason I am asking this single question is because I'd ultimately love to work out how to create a whole palm frond style plant with varying degrees of customization. This is where I am heading (as it may impact the answer):
- create the actual palm leaves from a geometry node shape object (for now, I can create a mesh object to instance)
- creates variations of that leaf to then sample along the stem from a collection
- bend those leaves to simulate gravity
- apply slight randomness (rotation, scale) to leaves
- have the leaves adjust their rotation and scale in a realistic manner as they grow up the stem (see reference photo)
- apply a procedural material to the procedurally created leaves
- then instance one stalk/stem to create a whole plant