I've been trying to bake a texture to vertex colors, with no results. The same procedure has been attempted with 3.2.2, 3.1.2 and 2.93.110 LTS.
I suspect that the reason is Cycles rendering not working properly.
Here'r the details shown under 3.2.2
- Create a new project
- Import the mesh as .obj
- Assign an Image texture to the Base Color in the Material properties
- Change viewport shading to Material preview and certify that the texture is displayed
- In the Object Data properties add a Color Attribute as Vertex+Color
- In the Render properties change render engine to Cycles
- In the Render properties expand the Bake section and set Target as Color Attributes
- Click Bake
- Change viewport shading to solid mode and certify that the vertex colors have not been modified
Why I suspect a problem with Cycles? because if I open the Shading tab and check the Material Output of the selected material it defaults to "All".
If I switch to Cycles the output becomes all black.
- Under previous versions instead of black I have a purple color. The texture format is not responsible. I tried with .png, .jpg and .bmp
- All other setting are the default installation, I have an Nvidia 1070 with latest drivers 516.94
Anyone can suggest a different workflow and/or confirm it's related to Cycles output? Thanks