I'm making a glass ring in Blender and am running into a very persistent problem with very dark shadows inside the ring. I am working with the Cycles render engine, as in Eevee the glass just appears gray.
You can view my file here
I have researched this on fora extensively and have already tried the following:
- Increase max bounces of Light Paths in render properties, this didn't help (also see screenshots for settings)
- Mix glass material with a transparant shader. This just makes the object 50% opaque it seems, which is not what I'm trying to achieve
- Play around with the brightness of the lights
- Reflective and retractive caustics are checked
- Add a mesh light source instead of area light, this didn't help either.
Does anybody have any other ideas? You would be of enormous help!
image 1: Ring using mix shader with Glass BSDF and Transparent BSDF
image 2: Ring using Principled BSDF material
EDIT: Based on some first insights (THANK YOU!) I have now set a world texture, but still try to get rid of the excessive reflection of this world. I am looking to make the ring see-through like glass, though still distorting the background (blue circles on white in the back) as well.