I'm using blender to make a basic model of my house and I want to hollow out the inside of the house so that the walls are slightly thicker and there are normals facing both ways, I'm not really sure how to can achieve this. I think it's called shelling?

enter image description here

Also, has anyone got any tips on working on the interior of buildings, because I find it nearly impossible to do so :/


1 Answer 1


The Solidify modifier could be useful here. Go and check it out.

If you want to do buildings I would highly recommend that you "build" the house, instead of trying to carve it out of a block.

It would be a lot easier to build everything in pieces. Not everything has to be done in one piece in Blender. And you can always merge the Geometry later.

Build walls, cut windows into them. Add the window frames. Etc.

Build the house, dont try and carve it out.

  • $\begingroup$ So build the inside outside and then simply drag it in? $\endgroup$
    – Shaun Wild
    Aug 25, 2013 at 10:11
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Yeah you can do it like that. Think less Inside-Outside and more building a "Movie Stage". Fake walls and props. And instead of putting things inside. Assemble a room, and put the walls around it after :) $\endgroup$
    – Oliver Schöning
    Aug 25, 2013 at 11:01
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Playing around with Valve Hammer gave me some insights when I used it $\endgroup$
    – Oliver Schöning
    Aug 25, 2013 at 11:03
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Or better still: Start out by drawing your floor plan onto a plane, then grab all the edges and extrude the walls up all at the same time. $\endgroup$ Nov 10, 2014 at 16:27
  • $\begingroup$ There is also a pretty good addon that aids in making architectural elements, walls, doors, windows, roofs, etc. wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Add_Mesh/… $\endgroup$
    – cybrbeast
    Jul 9, 2015 at 7:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .