I'm trying to create a yarn pom pom as shown the the sample image. But all the tutorials I can find online teaches how to create fur texture. Is there a simple way to create this?
Here is a try:
You could create a ball, and a piece of wool that will be the hair of the ball. Also give some hair to the piece of wool:
Here is how the material looks like, give it a bit a Subsurface Scattering, put the Sheen at 1, give it a bit of Emission, mix with a Transparent node with a Layer Weight as factor, give it a bit of Bump:
- Add an icosphere or a quad sphere
- Add a particle system to it, set to Hair
- Under amount set a lower value (about 200 for a default cube of 2 x 2)
- Under Physics set Brownian to a low value like about 0.3
- Set Children type to Simple and reduce the Display and Render Amount to a value of about 100.
- Under Clump set to about 0.3
- Set Kink to Braid with a low amplitude like 0.7
- Increase the frequency to a high value like 20
- Under the hair Render > Path settings increase Steps to a higher value of about 8, to make braids visible.