So I'm going to have a laser fire into a spot in the ground. I want it so that before it fires the ground is blank and when it stops there's a burn mark where the laser was. How could I do this?
You can animate the 'Fac' property of a 'MixRGB' node to switch between two different textures, one not burnt and one burnt:
- Connect your unburnt texture to the top input of a 'MixRGB' node (Shift+A Colour> MixRGB).
- Connect your burnt texture to the bottom input.
- Go to the frame just before where you want the burn to appear.
- Set the 'Fac' value of the 'MixRGB' node to '0'.
- Press I when your cursor is over the 'Fac' value of the node to insert a keyframe.
- Go to the next frame, change the 'Fac' value to '1' and insert another keyframe.
For a smoother fade between the textures simply insert the second keyframe a few frames after the first, the more frames, the slower the fade between the two textures.