Inspired by amazing 3D Dynamic Machine challenge by pwnisher/Clint Jones, I started making a marble run.
Just starting off with a simple bit of track to test settings.
- Bezier curve - extruding to make a nice simple shape.
- Add 2 narrow cylinders and join them together to form one object.
- Apply Array and Curve modifier to follow curve
- Convert to mesh
- Add rigid body to "track"
- Add UV sphere and add rigid body
- Play to see how it runs.
Main things i've been tweaking are:
- Tilt of bezier to make sure ball doesnt fall off.
- Friction of both ball and track
- Sensitivity margin of both ball and track.
However, i have basically made the friction and sensitivity about as low as possible but the run never seems that smooth. It seems to get caught up for no particular reason. if settings are too low, the ball seems to "twitch" a little.
Obviously hard for anyone tell me exact settings needed but any advice on how to proceed with tweaking would be gratefully received. Or just confirmation that it really does take loads and loads of iterations to get the right settings!