In Blender 2.93 I want starting from a text image to create stencils that I can print in 3D and use to spray paint text on a real flat or curved object. I understand Blender can accept my text as a .bmp file that I may create in MSPaint. It seems the Blender function I need is Import ImageAsPlane. But from the on-line manual I can find only that this requires an Add-on which as a beginner I am unable to find. Please give step-by-step help.
You can convert your b&w image to svg in an image editor, then import the svg, then convert to mesh, etc...
Another method is to fully convert within Blender:
- Add (CtrlA) an Image > Reference, AltR to reset the rotation if necessary.
- Header menu > Object > Convert > Trace Image to Grease Pencil.
- Move the result and right click > Convert To > Polygon Curve.
- Again move the result, select the outline object and right click > Convert To > Mesh.
- Switch to Edit mode, select the mesh and fill with F.
- Extrude with E.