Does anybody know how to make this kind of material, where there is a plastic base layer and looks like somebody painted over it? Including the displacement and everything?

The look I would like to achieve: The material I'm trying to achieve

  • $\begingroup$ maybe it's more a question of topology than material? You need to keep your angles round $\endgroup$
    – moonboots
    Jul 12, 2021 at 9:37
  • $\begingroup$ You could try with displacement $\endgroup$
    – Emir
    Jul 12, 2021 at 12:03

1 Answer 1


You could Bump your Normal using Noise texture:

You could add smears by modifying (stretching) coordinates:

Colored noise works nice here, because the effect changes abruptly when the normal changes.

Increase Specular and decrease Roughness for oil painting look.

  • $\begingroup$ Yes, thank you, this works very well for the paint layer. But I would also like a plastic layer under it. I did it with the mix shader node, but it looks weird at the intersections. Where the plastic and paint meet. This will be a closeup and I would really like to imitate the thickness of the paint. But I can't really figure out how to make the displacement be only on the paint and still look good. Can you help with that? $\endgroup$
    – Matthias
    Jul 12, 2021 at 17:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.