I am wondering how to recreate some kinds of effects (you can easily do in Photoshop) in Blender.

I want to create the gradient textures like ones pictured below, should I render objects and blur them in compositor? Or can I achieve it using only material nodes?

Radial gradient

Linear gradient

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The vertical one might be doable with the Color Ramp node $\endgroup$
    – J Sargent
    Jan 9, 2015 at 16:28

1 Answer 1


You can acheive this with Cycles material nodes using the 'Gradient Texture' node.

enter image description here

Setting the gradient node to 'Quadratic sphere' (and with a little offset from the vector mapping node) restults in this (on a plane with uv basic unwrapping):

enter image description here

To control the scale of the 'Quadratic sphere' in the result above I scaled the UV's as scaling using the vector mapping node node seemed to scale it towards the corner.

For a linear gradient you can simply set the Gradient Texture to 'Linear':

enter image description here

enter image description here

For different colours you can simply use a colour 'MixRBG' node and use the factor of the gradient texture instead of the colour and connect it to the 'Fac' of the mix node.

enter image description here enter image description here

  • 11
    $\begingroup$ Thanks Ray. Now I don't need the Photoshop any more ;). $\endgroup$
    – Paul Gonet
    Jan 9, 2015 at 17:51
  • 11
    $\begingroup$ You can also use the "color ramp" node instead of the "mix" node. It allows more settings and finesse. i.stack.imgur.com/OIO5P.jpg $\endgroup$
    – Zampai
    Jul 13, 2016 at 15:36
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Zampai this is a better answer than the accepted one IMHO $\endgroup$ Jun 20, 2019 at 22:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.