I am designing a pair of dice on blender, and instead of the 6 pips on the "6" face, I am placing a 3d mesh of a logo that I have designed (a 3d peacock). I intersect the mesh of the logo slightly with the face, and use the Boolean difference operator to emboss the logo onto the face of the dice:

enter image description here

Whenever I click on the cube mesh, however, and perform the Boolean difference operation on the 3D mesh of the logo, it does a weird sort of union with the mesh of the logo and the cube face - the feathers on this logo get attached to the face and the whole body is missing:

enter image description here

How do I fix this issue? (For context, this mesh was created by taking a mesh of a simpler cone looking object, and then performing the Boolean difference operation between collections of that simpler object, separating the difference by connected parts, and then deleting excess. If this affects the geometry and as a result the Boolean operation, please let me know how I can fix that). Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have included the blend file in a google drive link below. I apologize as I am new to blender haha

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Without the original mesh it's hard to tell, but maybe someone knows better. First of all it looks like the peacock body isn't really connected to the rest, the tail seems to intersect with the body but the ends are open, so it's not a piece of closed geometry. Another thing is, without seeing the mesh of the peacock I cannot judge if there is some messy geometry which makes it harder for the Boolean Modifier. Or maybe doubled vertices? Try deleting them by selecting all in Edit Mode, then hit M > Merge > By Distance. What you could also try is set Operand Type > "Fast" in the modifier. $\endgroup$ Jun 14, 2021 at 6:35
  • $\begingroup$ if Gordons answer doesn't help, please provide blend file $\endgroup$
    – Chris
    Jun 14, 2021 at 9:16
  • $\begingroup$ I apologize for not including a blend file earlier - I have included it now! Thanks so much for your help. $\endgroup$
    – realribs
    Jun 14, 2021 at 17:26
  • $\begingroup$ Maybe you should not only upload the file and wait for someone to fix it for you... did you try any of my suggestions? Now that I have your file I can say some of the things I mentioned definitely apply here. Your mesh is open in many places, unconnected geometry, merging by distance removes 5627 vertices... then vertices sticking out up and down of the mesh. And in the version you uploaded there's not even a Boolean Modifier on the cube... I'm quite sure it will work once the mesh is clean. $\endgroup$ Jun 15, 2021 at 6:31
  • $\begingroup$ I tried applying what you had mentioned (M > Merge > By Distance), but I don't think it fully cleaned up the mesh because I was still running into issues applying the Boolean Modifier on the cube. You had mentioned that the body does not seem to be connected to the tail as some of the ends are open - I think I am noticing this as well. I am looking at the mesh clean up tools but I can't seem to figure out which tools actually resolve this. I am very new to blender so thank you for all your help! $\endgroup$
    – realribs
    Jun 15, 2021 at 12:58


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .