The mesh deform modifier is taking an inexplicably long time to calculate. Precision 5 takes about ten seconds or so, and levels above that take at least an hour but have never been completed. I first noticed this in 2.92, but I think it could have been the case in 2.91 as well.
This is not an issue with computer speed or mesh complexity. Meshes that I had prior to the update can be unbound from their cages and rebound at precision 7 in four to five minutes, which is what it was before, but new meshes do not. Some scenarios below:
- New mesh+new cage, both moderately complex=binding takes forever.
- Old mesh+old cage, both several times the vertex count of scenario 1=four minutes or so.
- New mesh+old cage(From 1 and 2 respectively)=four minutes, does not completely bind due to parts sticking out.
- New mesh+separated part of old cage=forever.
- New mesh+new cage(Both cubes with no subdivisions, 8 vertices each, in a new blender file with only defaults)=forever.
- Old mesh+new cage(from 2 and 1 respectively)=forever.
Any idea what's going on here?
Update: Attempted reinstalling with no addons and this did not fix it.
Update 2: It's leaking memory for some reason.