New to Blender, and 3D in general, I've been trying to rig a character but I always have that automatic weight issue showing up, and I can't really tell where it comes from. I've tried to parent my character's elements to the meta rig, and to generate an automatic rig. None of these worked out.
See the screenshots to understand what happens: The hands are messed up, the chainmail disappears (made by instancing 2 tori over cylinders) the body goes through the breastplate... Here are the solutions I've tried so far :
- Merging by distance everything
- Apply scale and Rotation to the model (note that the chainmail disappears again if I apply transform, haven't found the reason out yet)
- Apply modifiers, most noticeably skinwrap and subdivisions
- Set Origin to Geometry to the objects (I may have forgotten some, but I didn't see any improvement anyway)
- Joining all the objects into one single mesh (This time, the hands simply refused to move although the shape was preserved)
Here is a link to the file, I hope it's gonna work, first time I use dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rok138fb33eye7e/AAD9NT1k-x1nDAu7qRXFTNVUa?dl=0
If someone could take a look at it and tell me how to solve my issue, I'd be eternally grateful :)
EDIT : As a last hope, I've tried to parent each piece of the left hand (from character's view) one by one to the metarig. The issue was reported for the main cylinder of the gauntlet, covering the forearm. The other parts move, but are messed up in the process.