Is there a simple way to create an arch? Different type of arches on wikipedia. I'm interested in the Round arch or Elliptical arch type of arches.
You can use an array + the simple deform modifier.
- Start with a cube, this will be your "brick":
- add an array modifier, make it as long as you want bricks. make them go up on the
- add a simple deform modifier.
- set the type to bend.
- set the angle to
- Add an empty at the origin of your object
- Rotate it by 90 degrees on the
- Set it to the origin in the bend modifier
- Move it away from your object to control the width of your arch, you may have to try multiple axis. GIF
Use the warp tool.
Take a cube. Stretch it, add a few loop cuts, then move the cursor to where you want the center of the arch, and use the warp tool:
You can also do this by modeling a brick, setting the cursor to center, and using the spin tool.
(model the brick, set cursor to center)
Use spin tool to create arch.
You can achieve this with an array and a curve modifier.
- Add a curve; then model it in to what ever shape arch you want.
- On the object that will be repeated across the arch, add the two modifiers an array and a curve.
Set the array modifier's Fit Type to Fit Curve, then select the curve. Then set the Curve modifier's Object to be the same curve.
Using a circle as a starting point. Delete half of the vertices. Place the cursor on the center of the arc and extrude and scale keeping the pivot point on the 3D cursor.
Extrude on the Z axis. Then you can use the inset tool I (with idividual faces on) to create the edge of the bricks.
You can create a arch from a circle, or cylinder.
- Start by deleting the bottom half of the vertices.
- If you want a symmetrical arch add a mirror modifier and delete half of the vertices.
- Model the circle in to the arch shape you want.
There is an addon available in contrib called Building Objects that can create a brick wall which can include openings with arched tops (and bottoms). By setting the start and end of the wall to small values you can still get the arch with some easy to remove bricks on the side.
The block width alters the size of the pieces over the arch.
A curve size greater than 2.0 gives you a pointed arch.