When there are multiple viewports active in the UI, it seems that some settings apply per-viewport, while others apply globally.
Examples of per-viewport settings:
- shading mode (wireframe, solid, rendered, etc...)
- transform manipulators
- Visible layers (after finding the "unlock camera and layers" button)
Examples of global settings:
- Object interaction mode (i.e. object mode, edit mode, weight paint, etc..)
- Pivot point
- Edit mode's selection type (i.e. vertex, edge, or face)
- Edit mode's visible/hidden vertices/edge/faces
Is there any way to get the global settings applied per-viewport? For example, could one get one viewport in edit mode while another is in object mode? Is it possible to have one viewport in edit mode selecting vertices, while another is selecting faces?