I'm trying to add hair to my model in Blender, but when I try to make the hair emit from only one place by using the tools in "Object Data: Vertex Groups" or by using Weight Paint, the hair doesn't move to where I painted, but stays in the same place. I tried using both version 2.67 and 2.72. What am I doing wrong?
Assign the selected vertex group and name it.
Go to the 'Particles Menu' header and input the vertex group name in the Density window (located in 'Vertex Grops' panel).
I've checked your model and found the solution. In your case you have to place the 'Particle system' modifiers over the 'Mirror' modifier. As you can see below, the beard and tail particles are now assigned to the right vertex groups.
I can advise you few more things. Before adding the hair particles to your model, make sure that:
- it has a good topology
- the double vertices are removed (in 'Edit Mode' press W--> Remove Doubles)
- the normals are facing the right side (CTRL+N in 'Edit Mode')
- the location, rotation and scale is applied (CTRL+A in 'Object Mode')
- there are no ngons, non manifold elements, interior faces (you can check it very fast using a 'Mesh Lint' addon)
- the 'Mirror Modifier is applied